Braised Pomfret


This is amazing! You know what? For the very first time, my dish tasted exactly like my mom's cooking! The brased pomfret I did tonight, totally reminded me the wonderful days 2 years ago when I was living with my parents and enjoying various kinds of brased food I like...

Mom, Dad, I miss you..

The cooking experience today was actually a little bit scary. I literally "dissected" the pomfret and I was scared a whole crap out of myself when I touched the soft internal organs.. IT WAS DISGUSTING! I can't image 10 years later when I will be in the medicine field, I will have to touch fresh meat and organs almost everyday! That makes me excited though. Not everyone has the opportunity to do that, right? Teehee.

I found liver, intestine, and whatever stuff. I also found the heart hided right below the gill. I remembered my mom has told me one day that if one breaks the gallbladder, the pomfret would taste bitter. So I was very careful pulling the stuff out and tried to find the gallbladder, but I failed. Whatevers, I did not see the green fluid oozing out, so it was all good.

So first, you wanna pick a fresh pomfret. If the eyes of the pomfret are clear, then yes this pomfret is fresh. Then you wanna remove all the internal organs and the gills. Fry the pomfret till it turns golden. Then take the fried pomfret out. Make sure that it is well cooked already. What I mean well cooked here is that you can even go ahead the eat it after frying the pomfret. Then put in ginger, green onion, cooking wine, 2 table spoon of heavy soy sauce, and 5 tea spoon of sugar (you can even put more!!), briefly heat for 10 seconds and then put the pomfret in. Cover the pot. Use low temperature. After 5 minutes, flip the pomfret over and cover the pot and cook for 5 more minutes. After 10 minutes in total, remove the cover and use high temperature to remove water until the sauce gets very viscous or thick. At that time, if you have not freaked out, you win!

This is another dish I did several days ago. I liked the color so I uploaded here. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment