Shanghai Braised Pork Ribs


This is another traditional Shanghai Cuisine besides Braised Pomfret. I almost failed today because I added too much water and did not realize that I need to boil off all water in the end. As a result, I ended up boiling a whole pot of water and waited for half an hour ( I was starving to death an hour ago, so while waiting, I ate two loaves of bread.. :( )

Here's how I cooked...

Beat an egg and prepare in a small bowl.
Prepare some cornstarch in a small plate.
Use the back side of the blade of a knife, tap two sides of the pork rib vertically and then horizontally. This way, connective tissues in the muscles will be broken and this will result in a better texture of the meat.
Immerse the pork rib in the beaten egg, then lay the pork rib on cornstarch to add the cornstarch to two sides of the pork rib.
Fry two sides of the pork rib till they turn white.
Take the pork ribs out.
Fry green onions and gingers.
Add cooking wine, heavy soy sauce, pork ribs, and water (cover the pork ribs)
NOTE: Do not add too much water even though it cannot cover all the pork ribs. Otherwise, you will end up waiting for all the water to be boiled off for half an hour as I did tonight..
Cover the pot, wait till water starts to boil.
Flip the pork ribs and wait for another 5 minutes.
Then add some sugar, use high temperature to boil off the water.
If you see the sauce becomes viscous, then you can turn off the gas and enjoy the Shanghai Braised Pork Ribs!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment